Monday, December 16, 2013

The Andrea Bocelli Adventure

So the weekend of 12/7/13 started very snowy. Margaret and I headed out on our annual pilgrimage to a concert in Vegas, but it was a treacherous journey. We questioned our safety a few times, but we got through for Andrea!

We decided to stay the night in Vegas to avoid more dangerous driving situations. We stayed at The Rio and were upgraded to a VIP suite for free. This was because the guy checking us in thought two beautiful women deserved it...and they had lots of rooms available.
The concert was at the MGM Grand Garden Arena. BEST CONCERT I HAVE EVER BEEN TOO!!!!! That man is amazing. The first half of the concert he performed a lot of opera. He performed with Svelta Vassileva,  a soprano. They were amazing. I wish I could do something that cool. I was loving the opera, but I was getting anxious for some of his more popular stuff and some christmas music. I love christmas!



The moment that truly made the concert for me came next. Mr. Bocelli came out holding a flute and began to sing Ave Maria...best moment ever! He played the flute as well, which is awesome because the man is blind! It was so beautiful, I was on the verge of tears (which is saying something for me). He followed with Adeste Fideles (Oh Come All Ye faithful). Also awe inspiring!

After these two songs, the great Heather Headley came unto the stage! At first I didn't recognize the song, but it turned out to be the best version of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" that I have ever heard. Her voice was incredible. I found out later that she is the original Nala from the broadway Lion King, one of my favorites! (picture courtesy of andreabocelli.com)

Next was Andrea singing "I Found My Love in Portifino" AWESOME! He then sang "When I Fall In Love" with Heather...very romantic and they were so good together! Then "Canto Della Terra" together! This is a beautiful song, I suggest looking it up on YouTube! They made it seem like this was the last song, but when Andrea got to the edge of the stage with the crowd going wild, he talked to the conductor and walked back on stage for an encore! He said "Because we are Vegas" and sang "Love Me Tender." Once again we thought this was the end and the crowds stood and went wild. And again Andrea walked to the edge of the stage and talked to the conductor. He did this to us an additional 2 times. He sang "New York, New York," "Time to Say Goodbye" (much to Margaret's happiness! This was the one song she wanted!), and he finished with "Nessun Dorma" from Turandot, an opera! Once he finished the last song, the audience in complete unison stood clapping and shouting!!! Seriously the best concert and one of the best performers. I loved it so much that for Christmas I sent my parents to the show in Phoenix the next night! They loved it!
So after the show, Marg and I feeling fancy took a taxi back to our hotel,
got hot chocolate and went to bed. We headed out the next day fully intended on getting back to Provo. The I-15 was closed due to the weather and the officials said it wouldn't be opened for 6-8 hours. We decided it would be worth it to just go home to AZ! My parents were super excited. I surprised my BFF Faith by making her believe we were going to skype then showing up on her doorstep! I'm an awesome friend :) It was nice to have a few days visiting friends and family! I miss my Harley guy! He's a real cool guy!
Marg and I then headed back home to Provo. It was a nice way to get over the weather! I miss warm sunny AZ and the people that live there! The concert was awesome and I can't wait to see who we choose next year to see! Good times!

1 comment:

  1. SUCH a fun story and trip! You should post again on this blog!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...